Author Topic: Big tank to Small Tank ....  (Read 4251 times)

offthefront

• View Profile
Big tank to Small Tank ....
« on: March 19, 2017, 08:24:01 PM »
Greetings ...  I have been running a  1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump on a 82 Gal.  Bladder tank for 25 years ... well Pump anyway  .... tank bladder goes out every 2-4 years ... tanks run 2-300 or more .... The pump feeds my Irrigation and outside Hose Bibs .... I decided to try the small tank route (2 gal).... I left the pump mounted on the 82 gal tank(ruptured Bladder) and just tee'd off where my pressure switch port  is located .... my issue the pump will cycle every 15 seconds  with one or two hose bibs open .... seems ok with the irrigation running .... any ideas ?    thanks ... mike   (northeast fl)

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Big tank to Small Tank ....
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 07:18:10 AM »
Did you also add a Cycle Stop Valve with that small tank?  Without a CSV the pump will cycle like crazy with that small tank.  If you have a CSV it is not adjusted properly, as it will stop the cycling when using more than 1 GPM.

offthefront

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 08:53:27 AM »
sorry wasn't clear .... CSV has been in service since 2006 ...to my knowledge has always worked well ....  Attached a more simple flow chart of how its plumbed ... CSV1.250 is the model .... Also to be clear the 82gal tank is still plumbed in with the ruptured Bladder and is full of water .... One thing I will mention is I plumbed the 2gal tank with 1/2" Plex  ...I didn't think it would matter, maybe it does?  ...all other piping is 1" .... thanks ...mike

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 03:06:23 PM »
sorry wasn't clear .... CSV has been in service since 2006 ...to my knowledge has always worked well ....  Attached a more simple flow chart of how its plumbed ... CSV1.250 is the model .... Also to be clear the 82gal tank is still plumbed in with the ruptured Bladder and is full of water .... One thing I will mention is I plumbed the 2gal tank with 1/2" Plex  ...I didn't think it would matter, maybe it does?  ...all other piping is 1" .... thanks ...mike

There is no adjustment to those CSV12550 valves.  They work at 50 PSI so you need the pressure switch to work at 40/60 or higher.  You also have the 50-3 version, which has a 3 GPM minimum.  So you have to use 4 GPM or more to keep the pump running steady.  It will also fill the tank at 3 GPM, and a 2 gallon tank only holds 1/2 gallon of water.  You can get away with this is you don't have any leaks.  But if the pump comes back on every few minutes to refill the 1/2 gallon in the tank, you need a larger tank. 

The CSV12550-1 version of that valve would fill the tank at 1 GPM ,and keep the pump from cycling as long as you use 2 or more GPM.

With the valve you have, even without a tank, as long as the pressure switch is 40/60, it should not cycle when using 4+ GPM.

offthefront

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 08:40:21 AM »
Ordered the CSV12550-1  ... will install and report back .... thanks !!   mike

offthefront

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 08:16:20 AM »
Ordered the CSV12560-1 and works great .... I did have to up the pressure range from 40-60 to  ~ 50-70 ... now pump runs anytime a hose is in use or of course sprinkler system ...it will come on a cpl times a day because of a few minor leaks which I am addressing ... thanks for your help ...... mike bell  .... ne florida ....

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 01:19:30 PM »
Thanks for letting us know how it worked.  Yes you have to turn the pressure switch up to 50/70 to make a 60 PSI Cycle Stop Valve work.  With a 40/60 switch, the pump shuts off before the 60 PSI CSV has a chance to start working. A picture would be greatly appreciated?