Author Topic: pacific hydrostar pump  (Read 10003 times)

wellnewb

• View Profile
pacific hydrostar pump
« on: September 02, 2016, 07:39:12 AM »
hello i am newb to this well stuff.  been spending last few days studying up on it since I own a house im getting ready to move into that has a shallow well setup.  it currently has a fairly new 1hp pacific hydrostar pump el cheapo i know.  but its fairly new and dont want to replace it now if not necessary.

well my initial plan was to by a new slightly larger pressure tank 32 vs 20 and possible run both if the old 20 was still any good and redo the plumbing (pvc).   so that was my plan until  i seen the sidekick.  I figured my money would be better spent on your system because one of my main goals for studying my/well setup was to possibly try and squeeze more pressure and or more steady pressure out of my well.

and your valve/kit looks like it does exactly what im trying to achieve.

so will this kit work with an 1hp pacific hydrostar pump?  it does have a built in pressure switch which i seen in another post you told the person just to reroute to the switch with kit.  this really looks like an amazing valve you invited and one day would like to invent or improve something myself.   

thank you and look forward to your response.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 07:50:15 AM by wellnewb »

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: pacific hydrostar pump
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 07:53:12 AM »
Yes the Pside-Kick kit will work with that pump.  But you will have to turn the pressure down to 20/35 and set the CSV for 30, as the chart says that pump will only build up to 35 PSI.  Not a very good chart for that pump, and if that is true it is not a very good pump.  But you could move the Pside-Kick kit to another pump and turn the pressure back up to 40/60 and the CSV to 50, when you get a pump that can make some decent pressure.  You will have to wire around the switch on the side of the motor, but that is easy to do.

wellnewb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 02:00:09 PM »
thank you so much for fast reply.

debating on should i order whole kit or just valve and try to use existing pressure tank.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 03:23:46 PM »
Those little horizontal tanks are crap.  It has a replaceable bladder because you will need to replace it often.  Tanks without replaceable diaphragms are best.  And it would be much easier installing the Pside-kick kit than re-plumbing to make that tank connect attach AFTER the CSV.

wellnewb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 05:49:44 PM »
I was referring to my 20gallon pressure tank in the pic.   but its old and probably on last leg so im gonna just purchase the kit tonight.  Question lets say i left the pressure switch where it comes at 50psi, and the pump max actually was 35psi what would happen and or affect it would have on the system?  I actually think the pump can do 50psi but the regulator is set at a max of 35psi.   Would I be able to just unhook the regulator and start the pump and see the psi unregulated?  Thanks again and Im anticipating this kit working like a dream.

wellnewb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 01:51:42 PM »
well it looks like i might have to buy a pump after all :-[

i hooked up the kit to the pump.  have the kit mounted directly to pump.  i am using a ge high flow sediment filter between pump and well.  I have 2 gauges on sides of filter.  with pump running both read 0.  the pump is pumping water but will will most likely have to take your advice lower pressure switch and valve or possibly just  a new pump.  you have anyadvice/tips? thanks in advance

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 02:46:33 PM »
Sorry I missed your last post.  The pressure switch must be turned down low enough that the pump can actually reach that pressure so it can shut off. 

You really do not want any filters on the suction side of the pump.  They create too much friction.  The gauge on the suction line should actually read a negative pressure or vacuum.  Put the filter after the pump and it will work much better.  But you still have to set the pressure switch low enough the pump can shut off.

wellnewb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 03:31:10 PM »
ok i think they are reading negative just doesnt show.  when i unplug pump gauges read same pressure.  im sure the 2 gauges are in the negative when on just can see it with the gauges i have.   so with out getting a new pump i need to turn down the pressure at switch and on csv.  can you recommend and affordable pump that can create the pressure need to run csv kit at preset settings? I really thank you and i hope to get this up and running right so i can spread the word!

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 04:34:51 PM »
I looked up that 1HP pump and it has a maximum pressure of about 60 PSI.  So I would set the pressure switch to 30/50 and the Cycle Stop Valve to 40-45 PSI.

wellnewb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 04:59:18 PM »
so what pumps do you recommend where i would have to change any settings on the kit?

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 07:06:20 AM »
Any jet pump with a max pressure of 70 PSI will works with the 40/60 pressure switch.

wellnewb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 02:16:10 PM »
this is why i put a filter before the jet pump, but this could be from the well not being used in over a year?  I dont have to worry about a little sediment messing with valve,pump etc?  I will place filter after pump/valve.  Maybe it will help with the pressure building up?  i see tiny air bubbles when filter is installed and pump is running.  wondering if this might be why my pump as hard time hitting 55 psi.   also does air pressure in tank affect how much pressure the pump can build on discharge side?  I ended up getting that 1hp hallmark pump which says it can be used with 40/60 switch i guess in perfect environment.  i couldn't beat the price and figured it was worth a try.  it seems better then the hydrostar one i was using.  thank you for you prompt responses and look forward to really testing this system out in my house(being made livable) so right now just playing with system in pump house.  being as though i have a pump house i couldve probably got a way with the plastic version and saved a lot of money that couldve been used for a pump the can push the valve to what it was designed for steady 50psi+.  also how do more precisely run 2-3gpm demand to adjust valve/system from a water hose/bib?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 10:00:50 AM by wellnewb »

wellnewb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 02:34:26 PM »
water before dumping.  it looks kinda clear coming out the hose though while filter is hooked up.  havent tried it without filter yet
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 02:36:38 PM by wellnewb »

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 09:41:01 AM »
Those air bubbles could be from the filter before the pump, as that will increase the NPSH and makes it hard to draw water through.  It would be better for the pump and valve to not have sand ran through it, but there isn't much choice as you cannot restrict the water before the pump.

The 1HP may do 40/60 when boosting from a tank, but may not build that much when lifting from a well.  You just have to decide how much pressure the pump can make, and work the pressure switch below that max pressure.

The air in the tank has nothing to do with how much the pump can produce.  Too much air in the tank will cause a hesitation in water flow before the pump starts.  Too little air in the tank will not let it hold the proper amount of water.