Author Topic: Hydrant for barn  (Read 6031 times)

ROG

• View Profile
Hydrant for barn
« on: September 20, 2014, 10:49:21 AM »
Last spring I installed a PK1A to assist in equal pressure throughout the house. I have a barn hydrant that is piped out of the well on the way up to the PK1A. I noticed that when running the hydrant, the pressure is great (like prior to PK1A install) then all of a sudden it falls off for 10-20seconds and then the pressure builds and runs normal. I haven't timed the intervals, but I think it happens every few minutes...

Can anyone tell me what is happening and if it's normal...

Thanks in advance,

ROG

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Hydrant for barn
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 10:58:04 AM »
When you use any hydrant or faucet before the CSV the pump is still cycling on and off.  When the pump comes on the hydrant will have high pressure from the backpressure of the CSV.  When the pump is off the hydrant will have low pressure coming backwards from the pressure tank.  This process continues to repeat itself as long as that hydrant is on.  It is Ok to use that hydrant for small things like filling a dog water bowl.  But if you use that hydrant for very long like for sprinklers, you must use as much water as the pump can produce, the same as before you had a CSV, or the cycling will destroy the pump.

This is one reason we have CSV's that will fit inside the well casing.  That way you can tee off at the top of the well or anywhere on the way to the house or pressure tank and the CSV will prevent the cycling at all outlets.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:59:48 AM by Cary Austin »

ROG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 04:24:29 PM »
Generally the wife used it for filling 3 3-4 gallon buckets daily and the 150 gallon stock tank every few weeks. We have a 3/4" hose and always have the hydrant wide open. Never noticed pump cycling on old system. I think the tank is due for a filling. I will time the cycles and get back to you...

Thanks for the input...

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 08:05:00 AM »
A frost free hydrant with a wide open 3/4 hose can let through 20-25 GPM.  That should be plenty to keep the pump from cycling.  Just don't restrict the flow with the hydrant, use a sprinkler, hose nozzle, or anything they would restrict the flow.  Fill the stock tank and the buckets as fast as the hydrant/hose can supply, then turn it off.  There is absolutely no problem using that hydrant as long as it is open enough to keep the pump from cycling.

ROG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 07:36:20 PM »
Agreed, I filled the stock tank and it ran full steam...the wife claims that it cycled wide open which I seem to remember as well...but who knows...can't remember what I did 10 minutes ago, much less when using the hose on hydrant weeks or months ago with no agenda of watching it...

I told her for buckets, no problem, but for the tank, run it unrestricted wide open...

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 07:12:14 AM »
There you go.  It will work fine that way.